What is Project Management?
Defining project management changes from context to context. But to kick start, Project management is a method of supervising, planning, coordinating and executing a project. Now depending on which field we are talking about; the role of a project manager changes. But in general, it is a skill and a chain of smart acts to achieve an individual goal or aim on behalf of a company.
In the field of Civil Engineering, project management refers to supervising big scale projects, management of schedules, negotiating with the vendors for raw materials, supervising sub supervisors and contractors, ensuring the quality of materials being used, checking the scope of the project and a lot more.
Significance of Project Management?
Project management ensures that the project is executed error-free. The project managers make it happen as they manage subcontractors, attend project meetings, and ensure that building and safety laws and regulations are followed. They are responsible for ensuring that construction projects are completed on schedule and budget.
Projects are very complex in composition, every part of the project is handled by an expert in that particular part of the project but as the project itself is not valid without all its components assembled, the construction of it will not run smoothly if it is not glued by the link in between.
Though the aerial view of things looks simple, there are a lot of intricate details that have to be taken care of and managed by you as a project manager in the Civil Engineering Field.
If it is still not at grasp, keep these simple pointers of significance in mind
- Practical Planning
- Clear Objectives
- Budget Management and Allocation
- Chain Process
- Time-bracketed Deadlines
- Quality Control
- Cost Reduction
All these things are brought into practice making the process efficient. Without proper project management, it would be impossible to keep a tap on the progress and estimated deadlines of the project.
Project Management for Civil Engineers
These days nobody would hire just graduate with mediocre skills no matter what degree the person has taken, when it comes to Civil Engineering also the job pool is saturated. Because of fewer vacancies and more engineers passing out every year the pay scale for a person has decreased.
Now, as a civil engineer, if you want to climb the orbit of a much successful designation, you must learn management.
Earlier the managerial designations were given based on seniority but today only the right set of knowledge and experience would fetch you the project manager post.
As a project manager, you will be required to fulfill the following duties:-
- Oversee all client interactions for a variety of projects and give engineering and technical support to clients.
- Manage all civil engineering projects, including preparing draughts and estimates for all fees, drafting all proposals to be presented to customers, and ensuring schedule and budget compliance.
- Supervise the efficient work of all engineering employees, evaluate all work, and offer the necessary training to effectively manage all projects.
- All marketing and development initiatives for civil projects should be monitored.
- Analyze and offer acceptable tactics for all-important management difficulties, as well as to conduct interviews with a variety of applicants based on the scope of all projects.
- Evaluate and coordinate with other departments to oversee all private and municipal projects, as well as generate appropriate technical reports for all engineering activities and present at various meetings.
- Prepare the engineering drawings and aid with the calculation of all design parameters.
- Analyze all aspects of the formulation and implementation of firm policies and procedures for a variety of projects.
Tool of Trade: Primavera Software Training Online
For all the work that we do today, there is a computer-based tool to make the work easy and when it comes to project management for civil engineers, Primavera Software is the prime of it all. This software is a blessing to Project Management. Starting from scratch with the project initiation, the Primavera Software tool helps you to manage and track all the processes.
The interface contains sections for Risk Management, Portfolio & Program Management, Contract Management, Information Dashboard, Timelines, Scheduling Alerts, etc. It is an inclusive package of tools to manage every aspect of one’s project management tasks.
It takes a rather larger learning curve to understand and use this tool and choosing the right place and course to learn it could be a little tough so I have taken the liberty to fetch the best place for you to master this tool. No second thoughts, CADD Centre Lucknow is the best place for Primavera Training in Lucknow. You could do the Primavera Software Training Online here. With the pool of experienced faculty, you are in good hands here.
Pick up the phone and book your seat now!