One of the biggest issues that the world is facing now is environmental degradation, one of the main reasons being the burning of fuels. And India is ranked at 155th position in Global Environmental Performance Index in 2021 shows how badly we are affected by this issue. So the right time to switch from fuels to other environment-friendly alternatives is now. And electrical vehicles would play a key role to achieve this goal. But what are EVs?
WHAT ARE ELECTRIC VEHICLES:
Electric vehicles, commonly called EVs are vehicles that run by electricity instead of typical fuels like petrol, diesel or CNG. The batteries of these electric cars can be charged for reuse.
The EVs started becoming popular in 2010. And by 2016, almost 1 million electric vehicles were sold. By 2019 almost 4.8 million cars were sold and it is projected to reach around 35 million units in 2030 at a CAGR of 26.8%.
AFFECT ON INDIAN MARKET:
India has already shown its keen interest to be a part of this shift in the automotive paradigm. The manufacturing of e- vehicles and their components is expected to increase the share of manufacturing in India‘s GDP to 25% by 2022. And apart from reducing environmental pollution, EVs will help India save $60 billion on imports by 2030. Currently, 82% of the oil demand of India is fulfilled by imports.
FUEL PRICE OF EVs:
The fuel price of EVs is as low as 1.1Rs/Km which is very less as compared to other fuel prices. Due to this a travel of 5000 km by EV would save you a sum of Rs.20000. Apart from this, it will also reduce vehicular emission which leads to a GDP loss of 3% every year.
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT FOR EVs:
With the recent declaration by Indian PM Narendra Modi at the COP26 summit to make India 0% carbon emission country by 2070, we can see that the electric vehicles industry is the next big thing in the market. Going a step further Ministry of Power has launched the National E- Mobility program and rolled out new electric cars which include the Mahindra e-Verito sedan and Tata Tigor EV. Even Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways along with R. K. Singh, the Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy have launched the “Go Electric “Campaign to spread awareness on benefits of EVs.
SKILLS THAT NEEDS TO BE ADOPTED BY ENGINEERS:
With the development of the electric vehicles industry, engineers need to adapt to the same new set of skills that will help them excel in this field.
SKILLS NEEDED FOR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS
- RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT – With the upcoming technologies like artificial intelligence, Internet of things etc., the research and development of electric vehicles will be one of the most in demand skill. As the electric vehicles mainly face issues with batteries, the key areas of research would be battery performance.
- DESIGNING – Electric design is one of the most important aspects of electric vehicles. The electrical engineers need to develop the skill to enhance the present design of vehicles by improving motor, braking system, electronic gadgets, batteries etc. of electric vehicles.
- MANUFACTURING – The manufacturing units for EVs require skilled workforce. The skills required are associated with motor design, battery design optimization, manufacturing process design and operations.
- MAINTENANCE – The maintenance of electric vehicles require electrical and electronics maintenance skills. These skills include maintenance of motor, batteries and electronic accessories.
- CHARGING TECHNOLOGY – The electric vehicles need charging stations and so charging technology is another in demand skill.
SKILLS NEEDED FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERS:
- VEHICLE AND PARTS DESIGN – With the development of new technology skills will be required to build new parts designs and vehicle designs.
- THERMAL SYSTEM SKILLS – The new set of skills required are thermal system skills that comprise of skills to see how heat is spread over the cells in the circuit board and also focusing on electrical safety.
ELECTRIC VEHICLE DESIGN PROGRAM:
CADD CENTRE Lucknow, India’s Best Engineering Design Institute has launched the first of its kind program on “EV design and Battery Design”. If you are interested in a career in the electric vehicle industry and are willing to be a part of this booming culture this Electric Design course is for you. It is ideal for you if:
- You are a Diploma/Degree holder in Engineering(any stream)
- You are a Bachelor’s Degree holder in Chemistry, Physics or Maths
- You are a student with exposure to the automobile industry
- You are a professional working in automobile/ IT industry
It is the time to gain entry into the world of EV. To be an EV skilled manpower all you need is access to this course and you will find yourself with many opportunities in this industry. This course imparts a conceptual understanding of the basics in engineering and science related to Electric Vehicles technology & industry.
The future of the automobile industry is Electric vehicles. The scope of growth in this career is immense. According to the estimate of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, the EV industry alone will create one crore job opportunities by 2030 and for every direct job, there will be five indirect jobs which takes the total job count by EV industry alone to five crores by 2030. The top employers that are looking for EV skilled manpower are:
- Automobile companies
- Industrial/ automotive design houses
- Software service Firms